The Next Step ==> was Re: [GENERAL] stored procedure revisited

От Yin-So Chen
Тема The Next Step ==> was Re: [GENERAL] stored procedure revisited
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thanks for all who have replied!  Those are certainly a lot of good
points and discussions!  From the messages, I think I've gotten the
following:

1. SP is a good feature to have, although it's not necessarily the
_be_all_end_all_ solution.

2. It's one of the features people would like to see.

3. It's been such a _dead_issue_ that people talk about SP in terms what
work-arounds are there.

4. Since it's such a good feature, why don't you (I) roll up your
sleeves and do it?

For #4, besides the fact that I am not a C programmer, programming a
database is certainly not like eating a piece of cake, otherwise we
would have hundreds of open source database to choose from :)  And this
is what I want to talk about now - how do we go from ranting about SP to
get it into PG?

My first step was trying to make enough noise in the general list so the
developers would realize that after all these years there is still
demands for SP.  There was noise, but obviously it's not a lot of people
speaking up yet.  Given the rule of thumb that only one in ten people
are vocal, we can safely guess the demand is there though.

The next step is trying to figure out what's the best way of getting SP
into developer's agenda.  I would like to ask for all of your help
again, to brainstorm for the best way(s) to make it happen.  Think of
what it would take to convince the developers that this is important,
besides we say that it's important.  Certainly, PG's feature sets aren't
developed solely because they are important.  Half are done probably
because developers think it's kewl.  But in order for it to happen, we
need to know what's going to make them feel the need is there.  I am
going to tentatively approach the developers on the hacker list to see
what they think... hopefully I don't get the boot just yet :)

Please, speak out your thought on this matter!  Anything at all, even if
you are joking, or if you think it's a complete waste of time :)  We can
do it.

Regards,

yin-so chen