stored procedure revisited

От Yin-So Chen
Тема stored procedure revisited
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

I've gone through the mailing list archives and the documentation to
search on this topic, and amazingly there is almost no signs of stored
procedure discussions anywhere.  Once a while a person would ask the
question of how to do SP in postgresql, and it will be greeted with
silence.  Not that anyone is obligated to reply, but the low volume
about this topic seems to mean:

1. this is a very dumb question, rtfm first.

2. no one knows.

When reading through the documentation, it seems there isn't a way to do
SP like in other databases.  The closest thing is the CREATE FUNCTION
command, which can only return one value or a set of one row (of course,
when it's an opaque function it acts just like other SP).  This is very
far from the multi-resultset, multi-level transaction SP in other
databases.  When I go through the ToDo list, SP is not on it either.

I think I am missing something very obvious here.  Can someone please
kind enough explain to me, is there SP for postgresql and where I can
find more information about it?  If there isn't, is there any plan for
implementation?  Seems there needs to be an extra table that would hold
the parsed query tree and a rewrite of the parser to make SP work.

Regards,

yin-so chen