Re: [GENERAL] alpha and true64 port

От Adriaan Joubert
Тема Re: [GENERAL] alpha and true64 port
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Easy question first: yes Tru64 is Digital Unix is OSF/1. Just marketing
people renaming it. It will be many years before I will bring myself
calling it Tru64 -- most people still call it DU. We have Postgres
running on a dual processor DS20 with an external stack of RAID disks,
and it works just fine.

You need the patches because 6.5.2 will not compile out of the box, even
though 6.5.0 did. That's my fault for not getting the 6.5.2-beta version
down.

In fact, ignore the patch to the alpha_cc template and use this for your
alpha_cc file:

AROPT:crs
# NOFIXADE disallows unaligned access.
#   on Ultrix and OSF/1 it invokes an explicit syscall.
#   on HP-UX it turns off certain compiler options.
# This is defined here because a bunch of clients include tmp/c.h,
# which is where the work is done on HP-UX.  It only affects the
# backend on Ultrix and OSF/1.
CC:cc
CFLAGS:-DNOFIXADE -std -O4 -Olimit 2000
LDFLAGS: -rpath $(LIBDIR)
SHARED_LIB:
ALL:
SRCH_INC:
SRCH_LIB:
DLSUFFIX:.so
YFLAGS:-d
YACC:

The -rpath flag in LDFLAGS ensures that the executables can find the
shared libraries. I can't remember exactly what the other two patches
were, but one changed a pre-processor statement in slock.h. You need to
change that or the code for the spinlocks is not compiled correctly and
your compilation will fail.

I ran configure with the following

./configure  --with-template=alpha_cc --without-CXX --without-perl \
--prefix=/data/pgsql --with-includes=/usr/local/include --without-tcl \
--with-libs=/usr/local/lib

Look at ./configure --help for the options. Make sure that you install
the readline libraries first (From the gnu section of your local ftp
site, current version is 4.0) and install them in /usr/local first --
otherwise psql is a pain to use. If you are compiling with tcl e.g. you
need to install tcl first. I haven't tried the perl or C++ interfaces.

Don't try to compile it with gcc on DU -- people managed to get it to
work with gcc on Alpha/Linux, but I don't rate your chances too high on
DU.

Hope this helps,

Adriaan