Re: [HACKERS] DROP TABLE inside transaction block

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: [HACKERS] DROP TABLE inside transaction block
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Leon wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>

> > In short, a lot of work for a very marginal feature.  How many other
> > DBMSes permit DROP TABLE to be rolled back?  How many users care?
> >

> Don't know. But here is the idea: drop table rollback is needed in
> automation of DB restructuring.

Actually the underlying mechanics could be used for other things too,
like:

ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN colname, or even changing the type of column,
say
from int4 -> int8 -> float -> char -> varchar -> text ?

I know that Oracle at least allows the latter but I'm not sure how
it does that

Hannu