Re: GiST insert algorithm rewrite

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: GiST insert algorithm rewrite
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Dec 3, 2010, at 4:54 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Here's an updated patch.

How carefully have you perf-tested this?

> On closer look, supporting the invalid tuples in scans was trivial, so I kept that after all. So you can still query
anindex with invalid tuples. If an insert encounters one, you get an error, and VACUUM emits a LOG message on any such
tuples.

Cool.

> There's one bug remaining that I found during testing. If you crash, leaving an incomplete split behind, and then
vacuumthe table removing all the aborted tuples from the pages, it's possible that you end up with a completely empty
pagethat has no downlink yet. The code to complete incomplete splits doesn't cope with that at the moment - it doesn't
knowhow to construct a parent key for a child that has no tuples.

I think we can live with this.

...Robert

От: Vaibhav Kaushal
Сообщение: Requirement for the Buffer manager to load multiple pages at once
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Note about KNNGIST limitation: no mark/restore