Re: [HACKERS] Threads

От Thomas Lockhart
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Threads
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Redirection will end up costing us a whole 'nother TCP connection
> build/destroy which can be disregarded for non-trivial queries, but
> still may prove too much (depending upon query patterns).  On the
> other hand, it would probably be easier to code and have better
> throughput than funneling all data through the postmaster.  On the
> gripping hand, a postmaster that mediated all transactions could also
> implement QoS style controls, or throttle connections taking an unfair
> share of the available bandwidth.
> In any event, this could also be the start of a naming service.  It
> should be relatively easy, with either method, to have the postmaster
> handle connections to databases (not just tables, mind you) on other
> machines.

Starting to sound suspiciously like the Corba work I've been doing on
my day job.

We're using ACE/TAO for it's realtime and QoS features, but other
implementations are probably much lower footprint wrt installation and
use. I suppose we'd want a C implementation; the ones I've been using
are all C++...
                     - Thomas

South Pasadena, California