Re: [HACKERS] Binary cursor header changed from 20 to 16 Bytes?

От G. Anthony Reina
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Binary cursor header changed from 20 to 16 Bytes?
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Binary cursor header changed from 20 to 16 Bytes?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> There is *no* header overhead for binary data as far as libpq or the
> FE/BE protocol is concerned; what you get from PQgetvalue() is just
> a pointer to whatever the backend's internal representation of the
> data type is.  It's certainly possible for particular data types to
> change representation from time to time, though I didn't recall anyone
> planning such a thing for 6.5.  What data type is the column you're
> retrieving, anyway?  (I'm guessing float4 array, perhaps?)  What kind
> of platform is the backend running on?
>
>                         regards, tom lane

Right on the money. The column being retrieved is a float4 array. I am running
the backend on a Red Hat Linux 6.0 machine (Pentium II / 400 MHz / 512 Meg RAM /
128 Meg Shared buffers). The clients are all SGI machines (O2, Impact, and
Indy).

-Tony