Frontend/Backend Protocol

От Jonathan Dale
Тема Frontend/Backend Protocol
Дата
Список pgsql-ports
Hi,

I am trying to write an interface for accessing the postmaster and
subsequently a postgres database server in a language that our group has
written, which is called APRIL. However, I am having a few problems
making the connection.

I appear to be able to make a successfuly connection to the postmaster
by making a normal socket connection to port 5432 and sending a startup
packet, which consists of:

00 00 01 20  as the length (296 bytes)
00 02 00 00  as the major and minor protocol numbers (2.0)
"dbname\0"   as a 64 byte string representing the database name
"postgres\0" as a 32 byte string representing the user name
"\0"         as a 64 byte string representing the options
"\0"         as a 64 byte string representing unused bytes
"\0"         as a 64 byte string representing the tty

And I get back:

"R" 00 00 00 00  which indicates a successful connection

However, when my process has read this, the postmaster displays the
following error:

FATAL 1:  Socket command type   unknown

and the connection is closed.

Does anyone have any idea of what I am doing wrong? I assumed that the
postmaster would fork a new postgres process to handle my connection and
I should be expecting some data on the socket to tell me that the
postgres process is ready for an SQL query. The postmaster is being
executed with the -i option.

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan
| "Never settle with words what you can accomplish with a           |
|  flamethrower."  -- Bruce Feirstein                               |
Вложения