Re: Internal key management system

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Internal key management system
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Second, in testing starting/stopping the server, pg_ctl doesn't allow
> the cluster_passphrase_command to read from /dev/tty, which I think is a
> requirement because the command could likely require a user-supplied
> unlock key, even if that is not the actual passphrase, just like ssl
> keys.  This is because pg_ctl calls setsid() just before calling execl()
> to start the server, and setsid() disassociates itself from the
> controlling terminal.  I think the fix is to remove setsid() from pg_ctl
> and add a postmaster flag to call setsid() after it has potentially
> called cluster_passphrase_command, and pg_ctl would use that flag.

We discussed that and rejected it in the thread leading up to
bb24439ce [1].  The primary problem being that it's not very clear
when the postmaster should daemonize itself, and later generally
isn't better.  I doubt that this proposal is doing anything to
clarify that situation.

            regards, tom lane

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAEET0ZH5Bf7dhZB3mYy8zZQttJrdZg_0Wwaj0o1PuuBny1JkEw%40mail.gmail.com