Re: [HACKERS] Fwd: Joins and links

От Maarten Boekhold
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Fwd: Joins and links
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Hannu Krosing wrote:
> Leon wrote:

> > Frankly, I didn't even consider fetching database from disk. This
> > slows queries immensely and I wonder if there exist someone who
> > doesn't keep their entire DB in RAM.
>
> Well, I personally dont even know, how I could keep my entire PostgreSQL
> DB in RAM :)

I thought about doing this once on a Linux box. What I was thinking about was
creating a large RAM disk, and use that disk together with a physical drive in
a mirror setup. However, I was never able to create a large enough RAM disk back then
(must have been like LInux 2.0), and also the RAID mirror code wasn't able to
support such a mix of devices (i.e. RAM disk + physical disk). The situation might
have changed by now.

Maarten

--

Maarten Boekhold, boekhold@tibco.com