Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use symbolic names not octal constants for file permission flags

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use symbolic names not octal constants for file permission flags
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 17:38, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> No, it isn't. �There's an apparently-useless definition of _S_IRWXU
>> there, but no S_IRWXU.

> Hmm. You're right, of course.

> A search on my windows box finds the text string S_IRWXU in the
> following "*.h" files across the whole filesystem:
> c:\perl\lib\CORE\perl.h
> c:\perl64\lib\CORE\perl.h
> c:\pgsql\src\include\pg_config_os.h
> c:\pgsql\src\include\port\win32.h

> that's it.

OK, now I'm really confused.  We have at least two questions:

1. How did all those pre-existing references to S_IRXWU compile?

2. Why didn't the previously hard-wired constants passed to chmod
and umask fail on Windows?  The M$ documentation I can find at the
moment suggests that *only* _S_IREAD and _S_IWRITE bits are allowed
in the inputs to those functions, which apparently is untrue or none
of this code would have executed successfully.