Re: make pg_ctl more friendly

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: make pg_ctl more friendly
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> writes:
> "because of recovery target settings" isn't always accurate.
> For example, if the DBA shuts down the server during recovery,
> POSTMASTER_SHUTDOWN_IN_RECOVERY can be returned regardless of
> the recovery target settings. Should we change the message to
> something like "server shut down in recovery" for accuracy?

Hmm, I just pushed it with Laurenz's wording.  I don't mind
if we change it again, but I'm not sure that there's much
wrong with it as it stands.  Keep in mind that the context
is the DBA doing "pg_ctl start".  It seems unlikely that
he/she would concurrently do "pg_ctl stop".  Even if that
did happen, do we really need to phrase the message to account
for it?

I like Laurenz's wording because it points the user in the
direction of the settings that would need adjustment if an
immediate shutdown wasn't what was expected/wanted.  If we
just say "shut down in recovery", that may be accurate,
but it offers little help as to what to do next.