Re: Log rotation

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Log rotation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Fernando Nasser <fnasser@redhat.com> writes:
> Please remind me again why the postmaster cannot close and open the log
> file when it receives a SIGHUP (to re-read configuration)?

(a) Because it never opened it in the first place --- the log file is
whatever was passed as stderr.

(b) Because it would not be sufficient to make the postmaster itself
close and reopen the file; every child process would have to do so also.
Doing this in any sort of synchronized fashion seems impossible.

It's much cleaner to have stderr be a pipe to some separate collector
program that can handle log rotation (ie, the Apache solution).