Re: pg_dump vs. TRANSFORMs

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: pg_dump vs. TRANSFORMs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 5/4/16 11:23 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Actually, I believe it will be dumped.  selectDumpableCast believes it
> should dump casts with OID >= FirstNormalObjectId.  That's a kluge no
> doubt, but reasonably effective; looks like we've been doing that since
> 9.0.
>
> pg_dump appears not to have a special-case selectDumpableTransform
> routine.  Instead it falls back on the generic selectDumpableObject
> for transforms.  That's a bad idea because the only useful bit of
> knowledge selectDumpableObject has is to look at the containing
> namespace ... and transforms don't have one, just as casts don't.
>
> My recommendation is to clone that cast logic for transforms.

Hmm.  The way I understand it is that Stephen wants to make dumping that
test case work.  But note that that test case is bogus; it wouldn't
actually do anything useful in practice.  There aren't any functions in
the system catalog that could be used for actual transforms.  So making
these changes in pg_dump isn't really of much practical value.  Perhaps
it would be easier to change the test case or adjust the testing procedure?