Re: [HACKERS] Postgres 6.5 beta2 and beta3 problem

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Postgres 6.5 beta2 and beta3 problem
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Oleg Broytmann wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> > >    And what a pros and cons for NCHAR?
> > I was hoping you would tell me! :)
>
>    I can see only one advantage for NCHAR - those fields that aren't NCHAR
> will not use strcoll() for comparison.
>    But I cannot remember one filed in my database that does not contain
> russian characters. Even my WWW logs contain them.

what about the tables beginning with pg_ ?

Are the system tables currently affected by --enable-locale ?

>    So in any case I am forced to make all my fields NCHAR, and this is
> exactly what we have now - postgres compiled with --enable-locale makes all
> char NCHAR.

Well, the problem is that while I do occasionally need cyrillic chars,
I also need English, Estonian, Finnish/Swedish, Latvian and Lithuanian.

The only two of them that don't have overlapping character codes are
Russian (all chars >127) and English (all < 128)

My current solution is to run without --enable-locale and do all the
sorting
in the client. But it would be often useful to have language specific
columns.

Hannu