Re: [HACKERS] Postgres 6.5 beta2 and beta3 problem

От Thomas Lockhart
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Postgres 6.5 beta2 and beta3 problem
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Actually the SQL standard has something to say about national char
> and varchar. I think it is wrong that char and varchar change their
> behavior in postgresql, if you enable locale. A locale sensitive column
> needs to be specified as such in the create table statement according to
> the standard. I never enable locale.

I had some discussions on the list a while ago (6 months?) about this
topic, but never really got feedback from "locale-using" people that
NATIONAL CHARACTER and collation sequences are an acceptable solution.
istm that Postgres' extensibility would make this *very* easy to
implement and extend, and that then everyone would get the same
behavior from CHAR while being able to get the behaviors they need
from a variety of other character sets.

I do have an interest in implementing or helping with something, but
since I don't have to live with the consequences of the results
(coming from an ASCII country :) it seemed to be poor form to push it
without feedback from others...
                     - Thomas

South Pasadena, California