RE: Rule recompilation

От Mikheev, Vadim
Тема RE: Rule recompilation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > Why is it possible in Oracle' world? -:)
>
>     Because of there limited features?

And now we limit our additional advanced features -:)

>     Think  about  a  language like PL/Tcl. At the time you call a
>     script for execution, you cannot even be sure  that  the  Tcl
>     bytecode  compiler parsed anything, so how will you ever know
>     the complete set of objects referenced from this function?
>
>     And PL/pgSQL? We don't prepare all the  statements  into  SPI
>     plans  at  compile  time. We wait until the separate branches
>     are needed, so how do you know offhand here?

At the time of creation function body could be parsed and referenced
objects stored in system table (or function could be marked as dirty
and referenced objects would stored at first compilation and after
each subsequent successful after-dirtied-compilation).
Isn't it possible for PL/_ANY_L_ too?

>     In the PL/pgSQL case it *might* be possible. But is it  worth
>     it?

Sure.

Vadim