Re: Logical Replication - detail message with names of missing columns

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Logical Replication - detail message with names of missing columns
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Bharath Rupireddy <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com> writes:
>> I think we always double-quote identifiers in error messages. For
>> example:
>> ./catalog/heap.c 706:  errmsg("no collation was derived for column \"%s\"
>> with collatable type %s",

Right.  Anything in this patch that is not doing that needs to be fixed.
(As this example shows, type names are exempt from the rule.)

> How about quoting all the individual columns? Looks like quote_identifier()
> doesn't serve our purpose here as it selectively quotes or quotes all
> identifiers only in case quote_all_identifiers config variable is set.

NO.  The convention is to write \"...\" in the translatable message.
Not all languages use double quote symbols for this purpose, so that
way lets translators replace them with something else.

Yeah, this means that messages containing names that contain double
quotes might be a bit ambiguous.  We live with it.