Re: Holes in the install process

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Holes in the install process
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman@pacbell.net> writes:
> For one thing, has anybody recently read the stuff that prints at the
> end of a 'make install'?

Yeah, it's pretty out-of-date.  Someone or other had promised to update
it (Peter E. I think).

> For another the INSTALL document is a bit coy about what happens when
> you install as root.  If you have Perl configured, the process creates
> at least one file that will cause problems if you later try a 'make'
> as non-root.

"At least one file" isn't very helpful.  If you want these things fixed,
how about *specifics*?  Patches would be even better ;-).  (The same
goes for documentation shortcomings, btw.)

> I did NOT configure multibyte support.  This caused restore to fail
> because one of the very early commands was setting the US-ASCII
> encoding.  PostgreSQL barked at me that multibyte was not supported,
> and the process stopped.

Hmm, I suppose CREATE DATABASE WITH ENCODING 'US-ASCII' had better be
accepted even when multibyte isn't enabled.  (Tatsuo, any comment here?)