Re: Postgres vr.s Oracle

От Jonah H. Harris
Тема Re: Postgres vr.s Oracle
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> What tests are you running?  There are certainly things, performance-wise,
> which Oracle does better than us.  There are also things they do worse.

Various benchmarks.  So far I've fully performed DBT-2 and DBT-3.
I've also been toying with a couple of the OSS benchmarks, but I'm not
sure which I'd like to use.

> I'll point out that, the last time we had public comparables head-to-head,
> with *Oracle* doing Oracle's tuning on SpecJAppserver, PostgreSQL was around
> 90% of Oracle *10* on analogous hardware.  In internal tests at Sun I can't
> quote directly, that comparison held on succeeding generations of hardware I
> wasn't allowed to publish :-(

Sucks that you weren't able to publish them before leaving :(

> And I'd match the Sun performance labs' knowledge of Oracle tuning against
> yours any day.

Perhaps.  I don't know anyone on Sun's performance team, so I can't
speak to that directly.  Though, I do seem to recall going over the
Postgres configuration used on those benchmarks, and that it wasn't as
optimized as it could've been.

> Not, on TPC-E on the other hand, Oracle is way ahead of us ... we were like
> 50% last I checked, due mostly to the amount of time it takes us to resolve
> lock conflicts vs. Oracle.  Of course, Microsoft is beating Oracle by 50%,
> so Oracle is not the one to match on that benchmark.

Yeah, Microsoft is doing quite well at TPC-E.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Senior DBA
myYearbook.com