Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard

От Jonah H. Harris
Тема Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 3:20 PM, Grzegorz Jaskiewicz
<gj@pointblue.com.pl> wrote:
> If that's the situation, me thinks you guys have to start thinking about
> some sort of automated way to increase this param per column as needed.
> Is there any way planner could actually tell, that it would do better job
> with more stats for certain column ?

Other systems do it.  For example, Oracle tracks column usage and
attempts to determine the optimal statistics for that column (based on
the queries that used it) on an iterative basis.  We don't track
column usage at all, so that option wouldn't be quite that easy to
implement.  Though, there are certain things ANALYZE would be able to
determine with a little help, such as knowing to collect more samples
for columns it finds extremely skewed data in.

There are other things that could be done as well... so the answer is, yes.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Senior DBA
myYearbook.com