Re: Companies Contributing to Open Source

От Jonah H. Harris
Тема Re: Companies Contributing to Open Source
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/19/06, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> The article assumes healthy open source communities, not open source
> communities that are offshoots or parasites of commercial companies.

Assumptions are many times incorrect.  Similarly, I wouldn't disregard
an open source community just because it may be based on an open
source variant of a commercial software version.

> The article title, "How Companies Can Effectively Contribute To Open
> Source Communities" itself assumes that because the company is
> contributing to the community, not the reverse.

Which other thriving communities have been consulted?  If all
assumptions in the document are based solely on experiences in the
PostgreSQL community, then is it not, "How Companies Can Effectively
Contribute To PostgreSQL"?

> As for your other points, I don't think they reflect the general feeling
> of the PostgreSQL community.

Perhaps not.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation            | fax: 732.331.1301