Re: Support Parallel Query Execution in Executor

От Jonah H. Harris
Тема Re: Support Parallel Query Execution in Executor
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> ... but I'm failing to follow where it says that parallel processing
> will fix that.  All I can foresee in that direction is extra data
> transfer costs, bought at the price of portability and locking headaches.

I don't think it's any less portable than the system is now; It's just
enabling multiple slave processes to participate in scans and
processing (parallel query, parallel index builds, parallel sorts,
...)  Likewise, the additional I/O cost isn't that much of an issue
because systems which really take advantage of this type of parallel
processing have large bandwidth I/O arrays anyway.

I didn't even want to mention that EVERY other database I know of
(Oracle, DB2, Sybase, SQL Server, Ingres, Bizgres MPP, MaxDB) supports
this, but it's a pretty obvious win for many environments.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation

Сообщение: Re: How to implement oracle like rownum(function or seudocolumn) ?
Сообщение: Re: How to implement oracle like rownum(function or seudocolumn) ?