Re: INS/UPD/DEL RETURNING for 8.2

От Jonah H. Harris
Тема Re: INS/UPD/DEL RETURNING for 8.2
Дата
Список pgsql-patches
This might tie into something that was bothering me about Jonah's
first-cut patch, which was that he was introducing special cases into
places where it didn't seem real appropriate (like printtup.c).  I
wonder if we should rejigger the representation of Query so that a
FOO-RETURNING command actually *is* a SELECT in some sense, so that
there's no need for special cases.

I was thinking along the same lines.  This is Omar's patch updated to 8.2 but as I get to looking through it, there are a couple things that could be cleaned up.  I paced around a bit today trying to theorize how this could be done without a lot of changes and retaining the speed increase gained by not performing two separate operations.

I'm a bit fuzzy about how this would work exactly --- you still need to
keep track of two targetlists it seems --- but it's worth thinking
about.  I've had a bee in my bonnet for literally years about the fact
that INSERT/SELECT really needs two levels of targetlist, as does UNION.
Maybe if we thought a little bit larger we could clean up all of that
messiness at one stroke.

I'm definitely open to looking into it.  Any suggestions are always welcome.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation

Сообщение: Re: INS/UPD/DEL RETURNING for 8.2
Сообщение: Re: INS/UPD/DEL RETURNING for 8.2