Re: No heap lookups on index

От Jonah H. Harris
Тема Re: No heap lookups on index
Дата
Re: No heap lookups on index  (David Scott <davids@apptechsys.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers

On 19 Jan 2006 11:25:21 -0500, Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> wrote:
Well it seems there were lots of facts posted. Yes you can avoid headaches
caused by these issues, but we're not really talking about the headaches.

Several were mentioned; some of which could generally be avoided by good tuning.

We're comparing the performance costs of what are update-in-place and
non-update-in-place approach.

As PostgreSQL is not an update-in-place system, what is the point in discussing the costs?  How does this solve David's original problem?

There are fundamental costs to non-update-in-place as well. The table sizes
are bloated by the amount of space used to store older versions and the dead
tuples that haven't been reused yet. Whether this slows down Postgres as much
as having to do a second (or third or fourth) read to a rollback segment is a
valid area for discussion. It's especially interesting to discuss since the
two costs hit different sets of queries unequally.

I agree, but again, we're not talking apples-to-apples.  There's far too many variables to compare Oracle's speed to PostgreSQL's for most types of operations in the varying types of database deployments.

Well the main difference is the MVCC implementation. Talking about Oracle's
index implementation while avoiding mentioning the elephant in the room would
be sort of pointless.

I agree that Oracle's MVCC plays *a little* into this index discussion, but isn't it pointless to discuss the pitfalls of an MVCC implementation that PostgreSQL does not have?  Similarly, how does it solve David's original question.

Again, I'm fine with discussing these things, but let's keep on topic for David's sake.  He posted a problem that we have discussed many times over.  Let's focus on that problem and give him possible options.

David has stated that the index to heap visibility check is slowing him down, so what are the possible options:

- Visibility in indexes (-hackers archives cover the pros/cons)
- True organized heaps
- Block level index (Tom/Simon's earlier discussion)