Re: PCTFree Results

От Jonah H. Harris
Тема Re: PCTFree Results
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Has there been any movement on this?  If not, I finally have some time to look at it.

On 9/23/05, Jim C. Nasby <jnasby@pervasive.com> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 10:05:57PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> With respect to the original point, I'm pretty nervous about either
> accepting or rejecting a performance-oriented patch on the strength
> of a single test case.  This report certainly doesn't favor the PCTFREE
> patch, but it probably shouldn't kill it either.  Anyone want to try it
> on some other test cases?

I *think* that a better test would be a table that is seeing a lot of
'update churn', or one that's seeing a lot of insert and delete activity
spread randomly around. It's very possible that dbt2 doesn't put enough
activity on each page to make any real difference, especially if the old
behaviour was to leave 10% free by default.

But it's been quite some time since the patch was discussed and I don't
remember specifics. Hopefully the author will speak up.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      jnasby@pervasive.com
Pervasive Software       http://pervasive.com    work: 512-231-6117

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

--
Respectfully,

Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation
http://www.enterprisedb.com/