Re: Why does VACUUM FULL bother locking pages?

От Jonah H. Harris
Тема Re: Why does VACUUM FULL bother locking pages?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I'm probably wrong, but I thought vacuum may invalidate stuff which semi-required the cache to be flushed.  :)  I'll go take a look through as-well but it's hard to imagine this being overlooked for so long.

Sorry Alvaro, I haven't gone out to look at vacuum in awhile so I ain't much help.

On 9/16/05, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 04:41:39PM -0400, Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> Was it relcache related?

I don't see how -- any user of a relcache entry needs to heap_open() or
relation_open() the table and acquire an appropiate lock.  Any such call
would block because of the lock that VACUUM FULL acquires on the relation.

--
Alvaro Herrera -- Valdivia, Chile         Architect, www.EnterpriseDB.com
"Now I have my system running, not a byte was off the shelf;

--
Respectfully,

Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation
http://www.enterprisedb.com/