Re: Do we need to do better for pg_ctl timeouts?

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Do we need to do better for pg_ctl timeouts?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2019-06-20 18:33, Andres Freund wrote:
> I wonder if we need to split the timeout into two: One value for
> postmaster to acknowledge the action, one for that action to
> complete. It seems to me that that'd be useful for all of starting,
> restarting and stopping.
>
> I think we have all the necessary information in the pid file, we would
> just need to check for PM_STATUS_STARTING for start, PM_STATUS_STOPPING
> for restart/stop.

A related thing I came across the other day: systemd has a new
sd_notify() functionality EXTEND_TIMEOUT_USEC where the service can
notify systemd to extend the timeout.  I think that's the same idea:
You want to timeout if you're stuck, but you want to keep going as long
as you're doing useful work.

So yes, improving that would be welcome.