Installation problem - running postmaster

От Thapa Damar
Тема Installation problem - running postmaster
Дата
Список pgsql-ports
Dear Sir/Madam,

This is my first try to install the PostgreSQL.

I downloaded postgresql-6.4.2.tar.gz, and followed the installation
procedures to install on Redhat 5.2 (kernel 2.0.36 - i386).

Every thing went all right, but when I typed "postmaster -i", after
"initdb", it did not run postmaster - the command remain stand still
there.  In "~/.bash_profile",  PGDATA was assigned to '/usr/local/data',
I replaced that with "/usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1" , this time
"postmaster -i " came up with the message something like:

    postmaster -i can not open
"/usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1/base/template1/pg_class" file.

Since "pg_class' file  is in "/usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1"
directory, and postmaster has added  "/base/template1" on PGDATA
directory,  my PGDATA=/usr/local/pgsql/data on ~/.bash_profile should
have been right.  But, it does not run the postmaster.

I would appreciate, if you could possibly give me some tips on this,
please.

With regards,

Yours Sincerely,

Damar Thapa