Alterations to backend/client protocol

От Philip Shiels
Тема Alterations to backend/client protocol
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
This question is directed at the developers of Postgres.
How open are you to changing the protocol between the backend and the client ?

I posted a question regarding finding the tables to which fields (from a query)
belong. The problem I have is that the only information I have is that the query
is a SELECT. The query is completely arbitrary and I have no idea what the
select contains (and cannot change it).
Is it possible to change the  protocol between the backend/client to include the
the table names (or some unique value allowing me get to the table name) ? (for
data that has come directly from the DB and a blank table name for functions
that are not directly represented in a DB table).
Perhaps an option upon connection to use the new protocol (so not all the other
clients that currently work with the existing protocol break).

I am, depending on how much effort this takes, willing to perform the
development myself, can you measure the effort ?

ThanksPhilip
Philip Shiels     E-Mail:Philip.Shiels@jrc.it      JRC Ispra, Italy, TP270
GIST:http://gist.jrc.it                              GEM:http://gem.jrc.it
Tutorial:http://gist.jrc.it:8080