How about a contract? (Was: Re: [GENERAL] A book for PgSQL? A need? yes? no?)

От Clark Evans
Тема How about a contract? (Was: Re: [GENERAL] A book for PgSQL? A need? yes? no?)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Stephan Doliov wrote:
> > Since we are tossing ideas around, here is my two cents.
> > .1c In order not to worry about royalties we can donate proceeds to
> > PostgreSQL.
> Amen/Bravo!  This would truly be in the spirit of PostgreSQL

How about the publisher?  The editors?  etc.

It might be that paid editors are better than
free ones... and thus the book sells 10x the
amount of copies, and thus the "donation" is
5x what it would have been without the paid
editors!!

Also, it might be that the book will have
more/better content if some of the individuals
earn some money for their work, it might not
be a ton, but that's beside the point.  For
instance, I'd like to see Thomas get a flight
to some warm fuzzy place if he's in a northern
climate. The same with some of the other "key"
players in the PostgreSQL group: Marc, Bruce, etc.

The question I'm asking is:  What is the
legal structure of PostgreSQL?   And even
more so:  What is the "Contract" for this book?

If you IGNORE the fact that a contract _does_
exist and don't track it... then it will be
a mess and people will feel cheated.  This is
counter-productive and could serve to HURT
the PostgreSQL group more than it helps.

THUS, I'm not saying that the "proceeds"
shouldn't go to PostgreSQL.  I'm saying
let's further spell this out.  Let's do
it formally.  It's not _that_ hard.

My offer:

I'll create a list for us to discuss this
contract (with an experienced bookkeeper *and*
attorney present on the list).  Usually, the
legal work _and_ the bookkeeping work for
the making sure that everything is "above
the board" usually amounts to 4% of gross.
Since we are building our bookkeeping system
using PostgreSQL, we would consider our work
as payment for royalty-free use of the database.

O'Rilley is going to make money from your
efforts, I think those people should make money
commensurate with the effort that they put into
the project.  Unless you do adiquate bookkeeping
and have a formal agreement, this WON'T HAPPEN.
Someone will run away with _your_ cherry.

Frankly, I'm sick of people abusing OpenSource
projects by taking all the money-making opportunities
and hogging them, and leaving all of the hard
grind-stone work to those who 'donate'.

This is the very reason _why_ I'm making a
bookkeeping system in the first place.  So.. .
it'd be cool if we all tried a "collaborative"
effort... with the *real* legal and accounting
expertise to back it up.

If you would like to know more, let me know.
The list can be up tomorow and we can start
putting together legal language on Thursday!

Best,

Clark Evans

P.S.  By now you are asking "So... what's in it
for Clark" Since you asked, here is my candid answer:

a) Seeing a kick ass book.

b) Seeing all those who contributed to the
book and to the database which the book
is written about compensated equitably
for their work.

c) It's taken me a year of hard work to get
in the position where I can do this.  Finally
seeing what myself and my associates have
been working so hard to generate would be
way cool!

d) The bookkeeping system still isn't complete,
having a community of users to help develop
it more would be fantastic!  Nothing like
a real user.

e) The feeling that I've repayed the
community that has given me a database
upon which I am building my bookkeeping
system.

f) Showing that legal language and accounting
complement open-source projects.

g) Showing that "open-source" != "no-money"

What do you say?