Re: [HACKERS] v6.4.3 ?

От Thomas G. Lockhart
Тема Re: [HACKERS] v6.4.3 ?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> We can't just do 6.4.2 patches, can we?  That would be nice.  We
> getting near starting beta, and will not have lots of time to test
> things.

Personally, I would choose to post patches, since as you point out we
are really focused on v6.5beta. We *still* need a patch convention with
a .../patches/ directory shipped with Postgres, and with routines to
help create and apply the patches.

I would suggest that for the future we create a top level directory
called "patches", and within that directory have two routines, perhaps
CreatePatch, CreatePackage, and ApplyPatch. CreatePatch would create a
subdirectory, look for all .orig files and make separate patch files for
each inside the subdirectory. Type a README and post a tar file of the
subdirectory at ftp://postgresql.org/pub/patches/. On the other end,
ApplyPatch could print the README, prompt for an "OK to continue?", and
apply the specified patches.

If there is already a common package for doing this we could use that of
course.

I might have time to do this for v6.5 unless someone else wants to give
it a shot. I have some code which could form the basis for this (and I
know that Bruce has something in the source tree which he uses but which
imho does not have enough of the features mentioned above; my current
code is lacking some of these also)...
                   - Tom