command line editing using GNU readline?

От Russ Welti
Тема command line editing using GNU readline?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Just compiled and installed 6.4 for both RedHat 5.1 Linux and
Sun Solaris 2.5.x, and noticed that the Linux command line
editing works just fine (i.e. up arrow and left arrow, the only
things I really REALLY need).

But the Solaris version did not work at all. I noticed from the
config files that the readline library had not been found, so I
went and got it and installed and recompiled. Now I get some
sort of screwy, overcomplicated behaviour with emacs-like
commands and a supposed VI emulation, neither of which
seems to work well, and neither of which gives me the up
arrow and left arrow functionality I have on Linux.  [The man
page is just huge, and some of what I read there works,
but JeeZ, all I want is some simple history recall mechanism
and the ability to edit! I do ctrl-s or ctrl-r and I get some kind
of prompt but then no matter what key I type it just beeps at
me.  ctrl-P is supposed to be previous command but never works,
TAB is supposed to do command completion but again, just
more beeps. My coworkers are tired of it! ;) ]

I really need to get the arrow keys working...  any ideas??

Thanks much,

Russ Welti
Univ of Washington
Seattle