Re: [HACKERS] NUMERIC needs OID's

От Thomas G. Lockhart
Тема Re: [HACKERS] NUMERIC needs OID's
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>     For the next step then I need some  help  in  the  parser.  I
>     think  it  would  be  good to have anything that looks like a
>     double/float and any integer that doesn't fit  into  an  int4
>     parsed  into a NUMERIC, and if it really should be one of the
>     others type-coerced back later. This is the only way  to  get
>     rid  of  the single quotes for literal NUMERIC values without
>     the  danger  of  loosing  digits  (due  to  double's  limited
>     precision).  But I'm not sure about all the things that might
>     break if doing so.

I can help with this. I would suggest starting conservatively,
converting to NUMERIC only when one of the other existing types does not
work. Later, we can more tightly couple the numeric types to make this
more transparent.

When you have the numeric stuff ready to go, commit it to the source
tree and we can start working on the parsing issues.
                      - Tom