Re: [HACKERS] Problems on NUMERIC

От Thomas G. Lockhart
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Problems on NUMERIC
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>     First I wonder why the can_coerce... stuff is  #if'd  out  of
>     parse_relation.c?     For     the     NUMERIC     type    the
>     numeric(num,typmod) must be called if someone does an
>
>         INSERT INTO ... SELECT * FROM ...
>
>     But it isn't. It is only called when there  are  calculations
>     done  on the columns. I also checked that for BPCHAR type and
>     it simply throws an ERROR  if  the  target's  length  doesn't
>     match.

Sorry, I'm having trouble thinking of a case which does not behave
properly with the existing types. I've tried inserting varchar(10)
columns into a varchar(1) column, I've tried inserting int columns into
float columns, etc etc. How are you getting handleTargetColname() /
checkTargetTypes() called where it is rejecting things?

It may be that splitting that attribute field into two pieces for
NUMERIC is opening a can of worms, since there are specific assumptions
about what that field means throughout the code :(

Maybe we should think about how to isolate the type-specific
interpretation of that attribute field into a type-specific handler
routine? Ooh, that sounds like a pain...
                        - Tom

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Problems on NUMERIC
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Problems on NUMERIC