Re: Issues with patitionning and triggers

От Samuel Gilbert
Тема Re: Issues with patitionning and triggers
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello everyone,

Here is a complete example demonstrating the issue I am encountering :

CREATE TABLE parent (
   split INTEGER NOT NULL,
   happiness INTEGER NOT NULL,
   modificationDate TIMESTAMP NOT NULL
);

CREATE TABLE child_split1 ( CHECK (split = 1) ) INHERITS (parent);
CREATE TABLE child_split2 ( CHECK (split = 2) ) INHERITS (parent);

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION parent_dispatcher_trigger()
RETURNS TRIGGER AS $$
BEGIN
   CASE NEW.split
      WHEN 1 THEN INSERT INTO child_split1 VALUES (NEW.*);
      WHEN 2 THEN INSERT INTO child_split2 VALUES (NEW.*);
      ELSE RAISE EXCEPTION 'Partition for % does not exist!',NEW.split;
   END CASE;
   RETURN NEW;
END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

CREATE TRIGGER trigger_insert_00
   BEFORE INSERT ON parent
   FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE parent_dispatcher_trigger();

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION set_modificationDate_debug() RETURNS TRIGGER AS $$
BEGIN
   NEW.modificationDate := now();
   RAISE NOTICE 'NEW row is now : (%, %, %)',
      NEW.split, NEW.happiness, NEW.modificationDate;
   RETURN NEW;
END;
$$ LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

CREATE TRIGGER trigger_insert_00
   BEFORE INSERT ON child_split1
   FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE set_modificationdate_debug();

CREATE TRIGGER trigger_insert_00
   BEFORE INSERT ON child_split2
   FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE set_modificationdate_debug();

INSERT INTO parent (split, happiness) VALUES (1, 42);

-- NOTICE:  NEW row is now : (1, 42, 2014-02-19 16:31:07.384151)
-- CONTEXT:  SQL statement "INSERT INTO child_split1 VALUES (NEW.*)"
-- PL/pgSQL function parent_dispatcher_trigger() line 4 at SQL statement
-- ERROR:  null value in column "modificationdate" violates not-null
constraint
-- DETAIL:  Failing row contains (1, 42, null).

INSERT INTO child_split1 (split, happiness) VALUES (1, 42);

-- NOTICE:  NEW row is now : (1, 42, 2014-02-19 16:37:27.134194)
-- INSERT 0 1

So, we clearly see that trigger_insert_00 is called in both cases.  I don't
understand why the query fails on the parent, but works when the INSERT
targets the child table directly.

Regards,
Samuel Gilbert