Re: [GENERAL] Case insensitive "contains" search

От Charles Curley
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Case insensitive "contains" search
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Ulf Mehlig wrote:

> In my opinion, the regexps are much more powerfull compared to "like
> '%anything'"-statements; but the regular expression syntax is a little
> bit weird, and if you have a look in the docs of programs which
> heavily depend on regexps (perl, grep, emacs, ...) you'll find some
> nice annoying little differences in "to-quote-or-not-to-quote"
> sections ...

Is there a text that describes the RE usage in PostgrSQL? I'd like to know
how to do more complicated expressions, like, "^(((charl|jam)es)|(bob))",
which should match a field that begins with "charles", "james", or "bob".
Yes, it can be rewritten, but I have yet to see a demo of how to use
parenthetical RE's in PostgreSQL. What I want to do is provide the user
with the ability to use RE's ala egrep. It would be really sweet to see
perl RE's in there. I've written a couple of times about this and I've
gotten answer as to how to rewrite a particular RE to work with
PostgreSQL, but I would like a more general description. Can the backend
be easily linked with a different regexp library like GNU's? BTW, all of
my comments are referencing 6.3.2.

--
Charles Curley, Staff Engineer
Computer Integrated Manufacturing