Help with PostgreSQL...

От Joe Fisher
Тема Help with PostgreSQL...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
To whom it may concern,

I'm new to Linux and I'm trying to decide on a suitable database to
begin my
"adventures" in...

I've heard many good things about postgresql, and read the HOWTO's, but
none of the ones I've read tell me ANYTHING about how to start the
databases, or how to create the databases, or how to create tables, or
how to create relationships between tables, etc...

I haven't even gotten to the SQL programming parts yet, or the various
front-ends...  Those will come later, after I learn HOWTO do some of the

basics...

PLEASE tell me how to find on-line documentation, that will actually
tell me HOWTO do something... I'm at a point in my reading where I
don't care what additional 3rd party vendors are making what anymore...

Every single HOWTO that I've read, tells where to get different
modules... You should call them WHERETO's or WHATSAVAILABLE's,
not HOWTO's...

Additionally, there are pages and pages of documentation on the
additional products to be added, but no meaningful descriptions on any
of them... You have to physically go to each and every sight to find out

more about the various products...

I'd love to see the WHERETO's with the following information:

    Product
        Description - What it's used for...
        And most important - What other products accomplish the same or
similar things...
            Compare the different products, and state the following:
                Strengths
                Weaknesses
                Ease of Use
                Supporting Documentation - (i.e. - HOWTO's - not -
WHERETO's or WHATSAVAILABLE's)

I don't want to reinvent the wheel when I'm searching for add-on
applications...

I want to go to a single document or source, and find out which products

are the best, or best suited to my needs... And I'd like to be able to
read other peoples comments, about the experiences they've had with
these different products...

For example, I want the best and easiest to use interfaces available, to

create a complete web to database application, where anyone can access
my database via a web interface... And obtain detailed information based

on pre-defined queries...

    If this means I need pgaccess, then I'll get and download
pgaccess...

    Whatever I need to accomplish this task, I'll do... But I don't have
the
time to re-investigate all of the possibilities, or to read all of the
documentation available on every single product...

For an immediate problem that I'm faced with, can anyone tell me what
products I might need to actually use SQL code to access the various
databases that I might setup?  Or is the SQL engine already built into
the PostgreSQL database itself?  If so, I'll need the "HOWTO" to access
this SQL engine...

Can anyone point me to the real on-line HOWTO's, specifically for
PostgreSQL, Pgaccess and or the SQL engine... I don't want to read about

what's available anymore...

Thanks in advance, and have a great week...

Joe Fisher