Re: Standalone driver for Unix

От Byron Nikolaidis
Тема Re: Standalone driver for Unix
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces

Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:

> scampbell@lear.com wrote:
> >
> > I had one other interesting thing with the Postgresql ODBC driver.
>   I don't know much of the internal's of ODBC but here's what I'm
>   wondering...
> >
> > When I use an extended datatype (let's say one for ipaddress for
>   instance) and then use MS Access to open the table via ODBC it
>   complains that the 'ipaddress' is an unknown type.  I have clicked a
>   box in creation of the ODBC ini file (or the .DSN file actually in the
>   case of MS) that says (something similar to) 'Treat unknown datatypes
>   as LongVarChar' but it seems to have no effect turned on or off.  Does
>   our drive not support this?  Is MS just show it normal 'excellence in
>   programming'?  Any ideas?

Are you trying to use this 'ipaddress' field as a key field?  If so, you
must NOT check the Treat unknown datatypes as LongVarChar.  The reason is
Access can't have a unique index on a field that is over 255 characters,
which is the default max length for a longvarchar.

Try unchecking the option, then you *must* re-link the table in Access to
see if it worked.    Also, Make sure the size for "Max Varchar" is set to
the default of 254.

Byron