Re: Configure problem, redux (was Re: TCL installation troubles)

От Thomas G. Lockhart
Тема Re: Configure problem, redux (was Re: TCL installation troubles)
Дата
Re: Configure problem, redux (was Re: TCL installation troubles)
Список pgsql-hackers
All good points. I had the USE_TCL in my Makefile.custom because for the
last few months/years that was the only way to get anything about tcl
touched by the installation afaik. I'll take it out.

But I'm pretty sure that doesn't explain all the breakage. Will continue
testing a bit (I *really* need to get back to the docs!), but the first
problem I saw was due to a missing file which was not built
automatically, and if you don't do a clean install you won't see the
problem again. That's why I could work with "cvs update -Pd" for weeks
and not see the breakage introduced, because by that point a
Makefile.tcldefs already existed.

> It's awfully late to be fixing this stuff for 6.4, unless you want to
> slip the release date again.  But I suggest revisiting it for 6.4.1,
> and trying to consolidate configuration decisions into as few files
> as possible.

I would strongly suggest that we fix it now, with small incremental
changes to make it work as currently designed. Releasing it broken
doesn't do much good.

So, I'm not sure I understand what the current design is really supposed
to do, but istm that we could do a conditional include of
Makefile.tcldefs, and have Makefile.tcldefs be a prerequisite for
$(PGMS). Like this:
 ifneq ($(wildcard Makefile.tclsh), )   include Makefile.tclsh endif ... all: Makefile.tclsh      $(MAKE) $(PGMS) ...

Any redesign after v6.4 is released should probably wait for v6.5, since
a v6.4.1 release won't get adequate testing. We managed to break the
Linux port of Postgres for v6.3.1 for similar reasons.
                   - Tom