Re: [HACKERS] perl interface bug?

От Edmund Mergl
Тема Re: [HACKERS] perl interface bug?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Brook Milligan wrote:

>    Edmund is thinking of a different situation.  The perl5 interface is
>    also a "Perl module", which means that it is supposed to build and
>    install under very rigid rules --- this is supposed to work:
>                    perl Makefile.PL
>                    make
>                    make test
>                    make install
>
> Ok, I see now.  So, we need the following:
>
> - a Makefile.PL that works out of the box for the above sequence,
>   given that POSTGRES_HOME is set properly.
>
> - a Makefile.PL that works with the Postgres installation and gets the
>   right shared library, so if we run `make test' later (or use the
>   interface in any way) it works immediately upon Postgres
>   installation.

let's forget about the make test. In order to get the right
libpq.so it should be sufficient to change the Makefile in the
interfaces directory in a way, that 'make' and 'make install'
for perl5 is called after 'make install' in libpq. Of course
I would have to adapt Makefile.PL in order to use pgsql/lib
instead of pgsql/src/interfaces/libpq as linkpath for libpq.so.

But: for 'make install' in the perl directory, you need to be
root, because the perl installation usually is owned by root.
How do you want to solve this problem ? Those people without
root access can say 'perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/my/perl_directory'
to install the module into a private directory. Again this
is not possible with a hard coded 'perl Makefile'.

Edmund
--
Edmund Mergl          mailto:E.Mergl@bawue.de
Im Haldenhau 9        http://www.bawue.de/~mergl