Re: [HACKERS] perl interface bug?

От Edmund Mergl
Тема Re: [HACKERS] perl interface bug?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> Brook Milligan <brook@trillium.NMSU.Edu> writes:
> > I am having problems getting the perl interface to work (but see below
> > for a fix).  If I install postgresql on a bare system (i.e., one with
> > no previous postgresql installed), the perl interface gets installed,
> > but the test.pl script fails with an undefined symbol error (libpq
> > cannot be found).  However, if I rebuild the perl interface AFTER
> > postgresql (actually, I think libpq is all that is necessary here) is
> > installed, the test.pl script works fine.
>
> This is a longstanding problem in the Perl module.  It's fairly closely
> related to the recent flamefest about LD_LIBRARY_PATH, btw --- the
> trouble is that if shared lib A refers to shared lib B, then lib A may
> need to contain a hardwired path to lib B.  At least on some platforms.
> I think your intended fix of rebuilding the Perl shared lib after libpq
> has been installed might solve the problem nicely for these platforms.
>
> HPUX is one of the places where there's a problem, so I'll try out your
> fix as soon as I get a chance.
>
> If this flies, we should rip out the commented-out cruft in
> perl5/Makefile.PL.in, and probably also remove its use of POSTGRES_HOME
> environment variable...
>
>                         regards, tom lane

I think the best solution is just not to build the perl interface
together with postgresql. It will never work, because 'make test'
needs the postmaster to be up and running.

Don't change Makefile.PL, POSTGRES_HOME is needed when building the perl
module outside the postgresql source-tree.

Edmund
--
Edmund Mergl          mailto:E.Mergl@bawue.de
Im Haldenhau 9        http://www.bawue.de/~mergl