Re: Truncation of mapped catalogs (whether local or shared) leads to server crash

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Truncation of mapped catalogs (whether local or shared) leads to server crash
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Ashutosh Sharma <ashu.coek88@gmail.com> writes:
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2024 at 7:50 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I think the assertion you noticed is there because the code path gets
>> traversed during REINDEX, which is an operation we do support on
>> system catalogs.  I have zero interest in making truncate work
>> on them.

> I agree with you on that point. How about considering a complete
> restriction instead?

You already broke the safety seal by enabling allow_system_table_mods.
Perhaps the documentation of that is not scary enough?

        Allows modification of the structure of system tables as well as
        certain other risky actions on system tables.  This is otherwise not
        allowed even for superusers.  Ill-advised use of this setting can
        cause irretrievable data loss or seriously corrupt the database
        system.