Re: Non-personal blogs on Planet

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: Non-personal blogs on Planet
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On 2/25/20 6:50 PM, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> On 26/02/2020 00:39, Vik Fearing wrote:
>>> One of the main reasons we have the policy in place is to ensure there
>>> is a person attached to the content. It does help to reduce the risk of
>>> Planet becoming an advertising/spam feed and IMV, it helps to drive
>>> higher quality content knowing that someone has to put their name on
>>> what is being syndicated.
>>>
>>> That's a long way of saying that I'm -1 for changing the policy :)
>> Hmm.  Do we not have a way of removing problematic blogs from planet?
>> We should fix that, and then we can revisit this policy.
>
> Indeed posts can already be removed, and so can entire blogs. There
> is an anti-spam policy in place.
>
> Instead of fighting spam with "tie content to persons", I rather see a
> content policy. Not as strict as postings to -announce, but something
> which can limit what can be posted, and how often.

I'm more in favor of this. My biggest concern is the moderation burden
by just allowing anyone to post on behalf of a conference. The turnover
point that Christophe made actually heightens that concern (and I do
understand it from the other side as well, it is certainly convenient to
have people write content without having to register a new blog every year).

(...though OTOH, I believe the pgeu software does allow for this)

> Right now, if someone plays by the established rules, nothing prevents
> this person from posting about every single minor release of a tool.
> Heck, it's not even against policy to post every commit message as
> a blog post. Clearly the existing policy/strategy is only good as long
> as no one starts using loop holes.

(Great, now everyone knows and moderating is going to be that much
harder :P)

> I don't see why this policy can't be expanded to allow certain content
> posted under, let's say, community accounts. This can be conferences
> and PostgreSQL related tools. That should already be the majority.
I'd be in favor for this, with the right policy. Most, if not all, of
the content policies are in place, so I would go with one related to the
frequency of blog posts. The goal would be to ensure that, much like
-announce, we keep the content coming through Planet balanced. We don't
want it to be dominated by articles coming from event blogs, but
likewise ensure community events have good visibility.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Вложения

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

От: Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Сообщение: Re: Non-personal blogs on Planet
От: Richard Yen
Сообщение: Dark mode theme