Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL Backend as SW Gateway to Oracle

От Thomas G. Lockhart
Тема Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL Backend as SW Gateway to Oracle
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > in getting simultaneous multiple db access within Postgres...
> > thinking of trying to implement this as a Postgres "master database"
> > with hooks deeper in the backend to call out to a remote database as
> > a separate session. Sort of like Ingres implemented their
> > distributed databases. Haven't done anything with it though...
> Cewl... wouldn't this enable us to run PostgreSQL on beowolf-like
> clusters? :)

Well, no. I haven't coded on a beowolf system (and my Linux Journal with
a writeup on it has gone wandering :( but a beowolf must be a MIMD
system with (perhaps) a shared file system. So, we would need a
medium-grained or coarse-grained decomposition of the backend to
distribute a single session across a cluster.

However, what I proposed would allow a single database, or parts of a
single logical database, to reside on one host, with access from a
client hitting multiple hosts to find all the tables, so one could
distribute the load if several pieces or many databases were involved.
Doesn't need to be a beowolf, just a networked set of servers.

                         - Tom