Re: Incompatible trig error handling

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Incompatible trig error handling
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
John Gorman <johngorman2@gmail.com> writes:
> Two of the trigonometry functions have differing error condition behavior
> between Linux and OSX. The Linux behavior follows the standard set by the
> other trig functions.

We have never considered it part of Postgres' charter to try to hide
platform-specific variations in floating-point behavior.  If we did,
we'd spend all our time doing that rather than more productive stuff.

In particular, it appears to me that both of these behaviors are allowed
per the POSIX standard, which makes it very questionable why we should
insist that one is correct and the other is not.

In addition, the proposed patch turns *all* cases that return NaN into
errors, which is wrong at least for the case where the input is NaN.