Re: PostgreSQL 17 Release Management Team & Feature Freeze

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 17 Release Management Team & Feature Freeze
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I quite like the triage idea. But I think there's also a case for being
> more a bit more flexible with those patches we don't throw out. A case
> close to my heart: I'd have been very sad if the NESTED piece of
> JSON_TABLE hadn't made the cut, which it did with a few hours to spare,
> and I would not have been alone, far from it. I'd have been happy to
> give Amit a few more days or a week if he needed it, for a significant
> headline feature.

> I know there will be those who say it's the thin end of the wedge and
> rulez is rulez, but this is my view.

You've certainly been around the project long enough to remember the
times in the past when we let the schedule slip for "one more big
patch".  It just about never worked out well, so I'm definitely in
favor of a hard deadline.  The trick is to control the tendency to
push in patches that are only almost-ready in order to nominally
meet the deadline.  (I don't pretend to be immune from that
temptation myself, but I think I resisted it better than some
this year.)

Сообщение: Re: post-freeze damage control
Сообщение: Re: post-freeze damage control