Re: [SQL] Case in-sensitive searches

От Eugene Selkov Jr.
Тема Re: [SQL] Case in-sensitive searches
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Jerome Knobl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I found an inellegant sollution. You can put every character in uppercase
> like that :
>
>     Select * From table_membres where upper(nom) like upper('myname');

I use a much less elegant solution that works extremely well for me. I
add a copy of the column to the table and fold it uppercase before I
load the table. I also do some additional processing in it, in order to
eliminate things that may interfere with indexing, such as accents in
European characters. The application then decides whether to search in
the original or in the processed copy of the column, but the original
data are always returned to the user.

--Gene