Re: [INTERFACES] pgsql for W95

От Constantin Teodorescu
Тема Re: [INTERFACES] pgsql for W95
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
Herouth Maoz wrote:

> At 7:30 +0300 on 14/5/98, Constantin Teodorescu wrote:
>
> > Yes. There is a library called pgsql.tcl that implements the libpgtcl
> > procedures but in pure Tcl. You need to have Tcl 8.0 in order to make it
> > work. I tried it with PgAccess and it works fine. There are some
> > problems (minor problems) under W95.
>
> Let me get this straight: Doesn't that mean that I can then use PgAccess
> from my Macintosh as well?

YES !!!

If your Mac has a Tcl/Tk 8.0 implementation, you can use PgAccesss under
Mac.
pgsql.tcl is using binary I/O on sockets and Tcl/Tk 8.0 is needed for
that.

> With which version of pgsql is this interface compatible? Currently I'm
> using 6.2.1, but plan on upgrading to 6.3.2 when I finish my current
> application. Since there are differences in the communications with the
> backend, I assume the package you just described is compatible with only
> one of them. Which one is that?

I am using 6.3.2 and I was experimenting the pgsql.tcl ( that can be
found at ftp://ftp.flex.ro/pub/pgaccess ) on Windows 95.
The developer of pgsql.tcl (Valentin Iliev <vale@aero.vmei.acad.bg>) is
working at a new version that would be released in a couple of weeks.
The minor problem under W95 is that (on my system) it needs 10 seconds
to open a 4 record table. Valentin Iliev said that he experimented a bit
pgsql.tcl but not on Windows, and the speed results are as good as with
libpgtcl.so.

--
Constantin Teodorescu
FLEX Consulting Braila, ROMANIA