Re: AW: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] money or dollar type

От Thomas G. Lockhart
Тема Re: AW: [HACKERS] Re: [QUESTIONS] money or dollar type
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> I've just finished working on the type
>> conversion algorithms so understand the current "atttypmod" field a
>> bit better, but have not decided how to extend it to multiple fields.
> divide it into two 16 bit integers ?

At the moment it already _is_ a 16 bit integer, so it would have to be
divided into two 8 bit integers. Still OK, but then it must be a
positive number, so one field can be only 7 bits. I was thinking of
trying to solve the problem generally so that a type definition can also
define a "type support type" similar to the current atttypmod, but which
could be single or multiple numbers, or a string, or...

Don't know if it would be generally useful though; still thinking about
how to implement different character sets and collation sequences for
strings and it seems like this might help.

> A mathematical package exists for infinite scale decimals, I think
> it was part of a 56 bit RSA cracking effort. It has all thinkable
> operations defined...

Well, if you find it again let us know ;) In the meantime, the 64-bit
integers are probably the best candidate implementation.

                   - Tom